The history of Freudenberg


1601 The tower of the Protestant church is one of the towers which used to belong to the castle. The church itself was built between 1601 and 1606.
1666 The town was destroyed by fire once again in the year 1666. This time the citizens used the stones from the ruins of the castle to rebuild their houses. As the castle was no longer necessary for defending the town, it was not rebuilt. The appearance of the old town centre of Freudenberg has remained the same since this time.
1796 In September 1796 the French war-chest was robbed.
1969 The borough of Freudenberg was founded in 1969 from the 17 communities which had until then been independent.
Previous Return to main page